Friday, November 1, 2013

Family Reading #11

 
With the Littles
Some of the most frequently requested picture books lately have included anything Curious George or Eric Carle (especially Pancakes, Pancakes).   Our chapter book read aloud is More Milly Molly Mandy.  James (age 5) is starting to read a bit on his own and recently read Green Eggs and Ham out loud to me with only a little bit of help.
 
Michelle’s Reading (Age 8)
This girl is becoming a voracious reader.  She has just about finished the entire Little House on the Prairie series (she says these are her very favorites).  In between various LHOP books, she’s also enjoyed Ballet Shoes, The Moffats, and Sarah, Plain and Tall.   In her stack to read next are a couple of the sequels to Sarah, Plain and Tall, The Middle Moffat, and The Saturdays (another of my very favorite books growing up – can’t wait to see what she thinks of it!)
 
Featured School Book
We are both really enjoying An Island Story, which is a very engaging narrative history of Great Britain.  British history is studied in Ambleside Online not just because Charlotte Mason studied it (I believe this is the actual book she recommended too), but also because it is part of America’s story as well.   What was the heritage of our forefathers?   What were the influences that eventually led the colonists to separate from their fatherland?   What foundational ideas and values are rooted in this heritage?   American history really does begin long before the Mayflower.   In recent weeks we’ve read a bit about the legends of King Arthur, how the gospel was brought to England by Augustine (not the Augustine, this is another one), and have just reached King Alfred.
 
Bedtime Reading
I usually make a list of books at the start of the year to choose among for our bedtime readings.  Ginger Pye was on that list.  It was so dearly loved by all three of ours that we have actually deviated from the list to enjoy the sequel, Pinky Pye.  I never actually read any of Eleanor Estes delightful stories when I was growing up – I’m not quite sure how I managed to miss them?!  At least I get the chance to enjoy them now.
 
On Mama’s Nightstand
In the novel category, I am reading The Daisy Chain on the recommendation of many over on the AO Forum.  I’m having a little bit of trouble getting into it, but those friends who recommended it have encouraged me to stick with it - many found it slow to get started with, but were sad to see it end because of the ‘relationships’ they formed with the characters.   So…we’ll see how we go.
 
In the devotional category, I have been enjoying the studies and articles in Tabletalk magazine.  Our local small group Bible Study just started a study of Isaiah 40-66, so I have also picked up a commentary titled Isaiah: God Saves Sinners to help some with the historical background and discussion preparation.  I’m also enjoying Sinclair Ferguson’s In Christ Alone.  (Take a little taste here.)  Ferguson is a new-t0-me author, but I am really enjoying him.
 
In the self-education category, I am continuing to enjoy AO Year 4 and the 20 Principles Study (although I think we only have 2 principles left!!).  I’m also dipping in and out of Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics, which is an interesting look at the way math is taught in the States and in China.  The Chinese teachers take a more conceptual approach to mathematics, American teachers tend to take a methodical, computational approach, sometimes bypassing true conceptual understanding.  I’m gaining some interesting insights into some of the underlying concepts to basic mathematical processes that I never really understood – and I always got A’s in math, too!!   Let me tell you – home education means mama education as well.
 
So, what have you been reading, my friends? J

2 comments:

  1. So many of our favorites mentioned here! I saw that thread about The Daisy Chain and have it in my TBR pile. And I too missed all of Estes' work as a child and am enjoying her now. My 7yo Gianna read Milly-Molly-Mandy when she was a new reader a couple years ago and still pulls it off the shelf to revisit often. I just love the charming illustrations in the volume we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep finding my 8yo dipping into Milly Molly Mandy too - I had read it to her the year she was 4 I think, and she's enjoyed revisiting it too now that I've pulled it out again for the little ones. The illustrations are a big hit here too - everyone always has to take a turn holding the book to study it before we can continue on with the story. :)

    I think one of my favorite things about the AO Forum is that it is just full of people who share my love for and taste in books. :)

    ReplyDelete